Saturday, October 1, 2011

the return

So I had stepped away from this for a while because of work related concerns as many people have now a days but I have just decided to come back and awaken this blog with some new avenues for it as well as a first review.

I work freelance in a couple of museums around New York City. Those institutions shall remain nameless here but what I am going to start talking about is the reality of being an artist in nyc. For as great as this city is, you have to love the roller coaster here in order to possibly see your dream come true. For me that dream was to teach here and show here. A serious goal but I am not out to conquer the art world. So far, this dream is far off track. I came out to ny for graduate school and was kicked out of my MFA program three quarters of the way through. Yes people actually get kicked out of art school. So I finished up my masters in arts in art history and started art handling because it was 2007 and the job market was just starting to tank.

Now I find myself struggling to see how to manifest any life line towards my dream. I break my back and other parts of my body installing other people's art and neglecting my own. So where does this leave me? Seeing that I need to just put it all out there and just see what happens.

So I hope you enjoy what is about to happen here. An unfiltered look at the art world and someone struggling in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment